Sunday, November 15, 2009

Readings: Week 12 (11/17)

Web search engines Parts 1 & 2- I agree with the first part of this article,that there is no need to be able to access every single web page in existence. There are many that have no real significance except to the creator of the page, such as a personal blog, or online calendar. It was interesting to hear how web search engines work, especially in terms of the algorithms that rank results. The second article, however, was a bit dense.

Metadata Harvesting- Maybe I missed something, but I never got a good sense as to what The Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting actually is. Overall, the article had some interesting ideas and suggestions for ways in which to create comprehensive listings for various online databases.

Deep Web- This was an interesting article. I knew that there was both a surface web and a deep web, but I had not idea that the deep web was so large! I was also surprised to see that some of the sites on the deep web were actually fairly large sites. I had always assumed that the deep web consisted mostly on small sites that would not have a lot of interest.

2 comments:

  1. I found the Deep Web article to be interesting as well - I wonder how much of the Deep Web is of interest to the average user though? I did note that some of the Deep Web sites listed were databases for academic journals. I didn't think that Google could get those because you needed a subscription though. I was a little unclear on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the Metadata Harvesting article, I'm pretty sure the OAI-PMH is just a set of standards that helps standardize search procedures in databases. I was similarly shocked at the size of the deep web- I knew it was huge, but the extent kind of blew me away! That whole article was kind of an eye-opener.

    ReplyDelete